Fire safety tips - don't burn down the house!
Several years ago we got a call at 4 am from the answering service. My wife answers, says yes, yes, then yells "Oh my god", hands the phone saying it's for me. Yes one of our managed properties was burning the ground. Thankfully all the smoke detectors worked and no one was hurt. But the house was a total loss. Two fire inspectors came out, one from the city and the other from the insurance company. I couldn't have been less impressed with the city guy who reminded me of a young Mr. Magoo. But the insurance guy was a retired fire inspector and obviously new his stuff inside and out. Of course the city guy didn't have a clue as to the cause, but the insurance guy actually spoke to the tenants, one of which mentioned that she discarded her cigarettes in the area they thought the fire started. Although they didn't have a definitive cause the assumption was that it was due to an improperly discarded cigarette. So if you every encounter this issue make sure you call the insurance company ASAP.
According to National Underwriter Property & Casualty these are the leading causes of house fires:
From 2007-2011, the NFPA says there were an average of 10,630 fires in the U.S. that were started by candles, causing 115 deaths, 903 injuries and approximately $418 million in property damage. That is an average of 29 candle fires per day. About one-third of these fires started in bedrooms, causing 39% of the associated deaths and 45% of the associated injuries. More than half of all candle fires start because of candles that were left too close to flammable items. They should always be kept at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Never leave a candle burning near flammable items.
- Never leave a candle burning in a child's or an unoccupied room.
- Make sure candles fit securing into candle holders so they won't tip over.
- Blow out any candles before leaving a room or going to sleep.
While the number of fires caused by smoking is trending downward, the NFPA found that there were still an average of 17,600 related fires per year resulting in 490 deaths and more than $516 million in property damage.
- If you smoke, consider smoking outside.
- Use wide, sturdy ashtrays to catch butts and ashes.
- Look for cigarette butts under furniture and between seat cushions to make sure no lit butts have fallen someplace where they can't be seen.
- Don't smoke in bed, when you're tired or around medical oxygen.
Clothes dryer fires happen more often than one might think, accounting for 16,800 home structure fires in 2010 and doing more than $236 million in property damage. The most frequent causes of fires in dryers are lint/dust (29%) and clothing (28%). In washers, they are wire or cable insulation (26%), the appliance housing (21%) or the drive belt (15%). Dryers were involved in 92% of these appliance fires and the risk of fire was basically the same for both gas and electric-powered dryers.
- Clean the lint screen frequently and don't run the dryer without it.
- For gas and propane dryers, make sure there aren't any leaks in the lines.
- Vent the dryer to the outside of the house and ensure nothing blocks the vent pipe.
- Clean the vent pipe and the area where the screen is housed.
- Keep the area around the dryer free of combustible materials.
Interested to learn more?
Get answer to your questions about property management.
Receive a free rental analisys.
Learn what you can do to rent your property for more and sooner
We are one of the absolute best property management firms serving the Seattle area. For more than 10 years, Comble Property Management has worked hard to build our stellar reputation, but our goal remains simple and focused: our property management team is dedicated to do our absolute very best in managing our clients properties. We accomplish this through personalized and professional service, highly knowledgeable associates, close and personalized relationships with tenants, owners & our vendors.
- Lower fees - GUARANTEED.
- A top-notch maintenance department that can take care of small problems before they become big issues.
- Relationships with companies that give us discounts on all repairs. Fast leasing.
- Underwriting experience in the greater Puget Sound area, which gives us the ability to determine the highest rent price for your property and still lease it quickly.
- A responsive staff, talented and eager to serve.
- Maintenance done right the first time, quickly, at fair prices.
- Monthly statements that combine precision, completeness, and simplicity.
- Effective advertising that leads to the best tenant selection.
- A system or infrastructure that delivers owners and tenants the benefits of technology in a simple, easy-to-use manner.
- Knowledge of the market, the law, and current trends to make change our advantage, in an industry that is fluid.
- No Hidden fees!
- We only collect our fee's when the lease is sign and you have rental income.
- We do not add any charges to your maintenance invoices. You only pay what is charged to us.